Algal Bio to Launch ‘Moneru,’ Sleep-Promoting Supplement Derived from Algae Strain
Algal Bio will unveil “Moneru,” a sleep-promoting supplement derived from a microalgae strain that’s been shown to have anti-stress and anti-depression effects in studies. Algal Bio, a University of Tokyo spinoff, developed the supplement using its proprietary “Algae Bio-Foundry Platform,” which brings together the university’s 20+ years of research on their extensive catalog of algae strains, including advanced breeding and cultivation techniques. The supplement is slated for release in Japan through clinical channels in January 2023. “Moneru” won a CES 2023 Innovation Award in the Food & Ag Tech category.
Moneru’s innovative features:
- Enables people to sleep better using food, not medication, as an aid
- Natural, non-GMO product derived from algae
- Functional active ingredients with anti-insomnia as supported by scientific studies involving human monitors
Science behind Moneru:
- Moneru is derived from algae strain, AL-0015, which our “Algae Bio-Foundry Platform” identified as having the best effects in improving people’s sleep quality. The platform enabled us to determine the optimal conditions for cultivating the strain.
- Our in-vitro and in-vivo tests confirmed the neuroprotective and anti-depressant effects of the strain.
- Our tests of human monitors have shown improvements in their ability to fall asleep, their quality of sleep and their mood during the day after taking the supplement for four weeks. The monitors also reported a reduction in their stress levels.